For summer 2018, the Center for American Language & Culture will be hosting the College Prep Academy, a special program for international high school students. The College Prep Academy is a short-term, cultural learning experience focusing on preparing participants for future study at U.S. colleges and universities. This unique program will help participants learn about U.S. higher education, prepare for U.S. university admission, and engage in fun and cultural activities. Academy participants will:
- Gain background knowledge on the variety of U.S. higher education institutions
- Learn tips on how to research and apply to U.S. colleges and universities
- Gain cultural knowledge to integrate smoothly into a U.S. university environment
- Experience life on an “American” university campus
- Strengthen their academic English skills
- Make friends from around the world
The Academy program will take place summer 2018 from Sunday, July 1 (arrival is Saturday, June 30) – Saturday, July 21 (departure).
View the Academy program flyer , sample schedule or read below for a sample listing of the program’s components. Actual program workshops, university visits and trips may vary and will be confirmed closer to the program’s start date.
College Academic Preparation: Workshops and Lectures
Sample workshop and lecture topics will include:
- Crafting Your Best Personal Essay for Admission
- Preparing and Delivering Academic Presentations
- Applying to University in the U.S. – Tips for the Common Application
- Making the Change – High School versus College Culture
- Stay on Track with Time Management Skills & Setting SMART Goals
- Lectures with TCNJ STEM, Business, Education, and Arts and Music Faculty
- And more
US Higher Education Exploration: Tours & Visits
College Prep Academy students will benefit from a diverse exposure to US higher education by visiting some of the following:
- New York University, New York City, NY–An urban, private, research university.
- Princeton University, Princeton, NJ–One of the oldest universities (Ivy League) in the US; a private research university.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA–One of the oldest universities (Ivy League) in the US; an urban, private research university.
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA–An urban, private research university with strong science education and research programs.
- Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.–An urban, private, research university located in the nation’s capital.
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD–An urban, private, research university.
- Mercer County Community College, Trenton, NJ–A two-year, public community college.
Cultural and Recreational Programming: On and Off-campus Activities
- New York City–Times Square, Madame Tussauds (celebrity wax museum), and lower Manhattan including the 9-11 Memorial and Empire State Building.
- Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ–Beloved amusement park with thrill rides and a water park, Hurricane Harbor.
- Independence Day activities in Philadelphia; July 4th fireworks and festivities in the birthplace of the nation.
- Princeton, NJ–Walking tour of university campus (as above), old town, and Albert Einstein’s home.
- On-campus movie nights, swimming, crafts, volleyball, and more.
Safety and Security
We understand parents may have concerns about sending their minors/teenagers abroad. At TCNJ, participant safety and security is a top priority. Therefore, we have available the following protocols and resources to ensure the safety, health and wellness of Academy participants.
- While TCNJ is located in a safe community, the College maintains its own police department, located on campus. TCNJ police officers and safety escorts are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- The College campus is equipped with blue-light call boxes. In the event a student feels unsafe or is lost on campus, they can call campus police using one of the blue-light call boxes located throughout the campus.
- For more information about campus safety, visit: TCNJ Campus Safety
- We will meet students at Newark Liberty International (EWR) airport upon arrival in the United States and chaperone them to TCNJ’s campus
- TCNJ adult staff members will supervise and support Academy campers 24 hours a day for the duration of the program, including during daytime workshops and lectures, in residence halls overnight, and on off-campus tours and trips
- We will adhere to U.S. national and local laws pertaining to programming for minors
- We will screen and approve all staff working with minors
- We will communicate to parents and students campus/program policies, including basic safety information, curfews, codes of conduct, and emergency contact information
Health and Wellness
- We will provide health insurance coverage to participants for the duration of the summer program including travel dates, and for all on and off-campus activities. The health insurance coverage is accepted by doctors and hospitals within our immediate area and includes a $0 out-of-pocket cost.
- There are many health and medical facilities within driving minutes of TCNJ’s campus. We will help participants obtain medical treatment as needed
- We are sensitive to health conditions and dietary needs, and we will accommodate requests by collecting participant information prior to program arrival
- Current international high school students from ages 14 -17
- Students living and attending high school abroad OR international students living and attending high school in the U.S.
- Must have high beginner and up English language proficiency
- Mature, self-disciplined and willing to participate in the Academy program
Cost, Scholarships, and Application
Comprehensive Program Fee: $4795 USD. This includes all workshops, university tours, cultural activities, transportation for the program’s off-campus outings and trips, housing, three meals per day, health insurance, and ground transportation for the duration of the program. Personal expenses, visa and travel costs to and from the U.S. (New Jersey) must be paid for individually and beyond this charge.
*The scholarship deadline has passed, and we are no longer considering applications for scholarship awards. However, we are still accepting applications for program admission.
*We are offering a limited number of scholarships. Scholarship award amounts may vary and will be applied as discounts to the program fee. Scholarship awards will not cover visa or travel (airfare) costs, or any personal expenses. To be considered for a scholarship, students must submit a complete program application and any additional materials no later than March 31, 2018.
Submit an online application found here, and include or upload in the application the following:
- Brief written response (in English) to the following: What are you looking forward to MOST in attending College Prep Academy at TCNJ? How will it help you in the future?
- Grade Report List – Scan or photo of your most list of your classes and grades in English
- Passport – Scan or picture of your passport photo page
- Letter of Recommendation from a past or current teacher (Now optional; Required previously for scholarship consideration)
If you experience any challenges uploading documents into the application, you should email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who submit complete applications by the priority deadline, March 31st, will be sent an admission decision by email in early April. Students who submit applications after March 31st will be offered admission on a space available basis.
March 31, 2018 – Priority *program admission and final **scholarship consideration deadline
- *March 31st is the priority deadline for applications for program admission. Those who apply by March 31st and who are admitted are guaranteed enrollment. After March 31st admission will be offered on a space available basis.
- **March 31st is the final deadline to be considered for a scholarship award. We are offering a limited number of scholarships. Scholarship award amounts may vary and will be applied as discounts to the program fee. Scholarship awards will not cover visa or travel (airfare) costs, or any personal expenses. To be considered for a scholarship, students must submit a complete program application and any additional materials no later than March 31, 2018.
June 8, 2018 – Deposit Payment Deadline. The $300 USD deposit secures your place in the program, and it is applied to your program costs. The deposit is non-refundable.
June 25, 2018 – Full Program Payment Deadline.
More details on payment and refund/withdrawal policy coming soon.
Need help applying? Want more information?
Contact us at email@example.com., click “Request Information” below, or visit our Frequently Asked Questions web page.